Sunday, February 6, 2011

Platonic lambda

I was going home after watching the movie King's speech. Naturally, i was in a very good mood. Good movie, good music always makes me happy. Roughly halfway, on San Antonio bus stop, i saw a man hitching a ride. No body was stopping. I saw him, he looked harmless (yes, i fear people hitching for rides, don't ask why), but i moved on. 100 metres ahead, i went and then decided - no, i should help him. I took a U - turn and went back to the bus stop. This time, i stopped. He wanted to go to Cubberly field, about mile and half from the bus stop. Not exactly in my way but it was just 1.5 miles. I said sure.

This person was middle-aged, carrying a bag pack. He told me that he is coming from Stanford where is taking poetry classes.
My mind thought - "How exciting!"
He was going to take some class near Cuberly field. He gave me his background - he had a PhD, he had worked a lot earlier but at some point he realized - what he worked on was not what he wanted to do.
My mind thought - "This sounds familiar".
So, he decided to take poetry classes and then he shared with me his today's poem - "Platonic lambda"
Its about the origins of the symbol lambda, Plato suggested it - thats why Platonic lambda. He shared his idea that he has observed for quite some time. Lambda is very similar to golden ratio - Like the way there is golden ratio everywhere, there is lambda everywhere around us. When we walk, in the shape of our nose, when birds fly etc etc.
My mind thought - "huh! He may have a point there. Intriguing! "
He gave a copy of his poem which i can not print as i do not have his permission. He also shared some of his life's experiences, what he has learnt, understood and how much happy he is now. At peace.
We talked for 15 mins at his drop place. I said goodbye. His name was Peter Chou and he runs wisdomportal.com.
My mind thought - "Good site name :)"


Overall, this is what means to be in the spirit of HKA. A random occurrence, a chance created out of nothing, a refreshing and exciting conversation, people sharing random ideas, observing things that are in front of you, things that you always saw and it never occurred to you. That just made my day.

Aanandam!!

No comments: