Sunday, November 22, 2009

Life in Oct1 - Nov 22

I intentionally stopped writing life in series because all my other blog posts were talking about whats happening in my life. I had to change that - so i went and read these genocide books by Jean Hatzfeld (reviews posted in last two posts).  So in this installment of Life in series, i will write about the small small things that happened in my life which didnt make to individual posts. 

Let me start by talking about last 3-4 weekends. 

This weekend - Friday night, i went to dinner at Zeni restaurant that serves Ethiopian cuisine.  Thanks Gurshi for giving me company. I loved the food, mostly because their food is so close to Indain food. Their roti is like plain light Utthapam and our order consisted of (behind the complicated dish names) - dal and alu-Gobhi. Loved the food, will go there again.  Yesterday since morning was spent going to a unique coffee shop (Philz coffee) and reading the book. Apparently the coffee shop is the rated highest in bay area and the coffee that i tried was called - Ambrosia - Coffee of God. It was quite delicious.  In evening, i made Gulab Jamuns (i had told my roommate that i will make it for him - the promise was made in Diwali, its only a month late). Other culinary expedition included Egg masala which came out very delicious. 

Last weekend - 

Went to a Dhrupad concert by Ashish Sankrityayan at Sangati center. Dhrupad after a long time, should do it again soon. Sunday morning was spent in another coffee shop reading book. Sunday afternoon, i went for a hike with Nikesh, Deepak and Nikesh's wife. Small hike - about 2 hrs (~3 miles) but good fun.


Three weekends back -  

Went with Gurshi for a hike  at Linda Mar.  Again small hike - 2 hrs. A video of that hike was posted on facebook. I dont have the video, so cant share. Went to eat dosa at Dosa at SF and watched a film at South Asian film festival.  

Other major activities like Yosemite, Rennaisance fair, etc were covered before. 

In general - 

1. Piano classes are going on. I now know how to play Ode to Joy, Greensleeves, Jingle bells. By know i mean which keys to press, i claim no guarantees on sound quality :)

2. Knitting is going fine. I am learning to rib these days.  So far i have made 1 wash cloth, 2 cup handle covers, 2 flowers, 1 leaf. I now own a whole set of acryllic needles. 

3. Movies - Quite impressed by myself that i am able to sustain myself without a persistent desire to watch movies. But still in between i saw - Inherit the wind  - a very good movie on Monkey trail. I saw Tykwer's International (so-so), 3 episodes of Monty Python and flying circus ( I can see why it is a cult) and 6 episodes of Fawlty tower (It is a cult). 

4. Went to a meetup event at Google. In a 80 people gathering, 20 said that they are either VC or co-founders in their company. Quite impressive. 

5. Becoming a coffee addict slowly - it feels good so far :)

6. Tried Banana leaf sometime in Sept - it is a Malaysian cuisine, interesting! 

7. Played Pictionary with Nikesh and his friends. Truly a hilarious experience. Those who know my drawing skills can visualize what i am saying. Nikesh was my partner and he got to experience it first hand. My first word was Polar bear and my version of polar bear was one amoeba and three lines. Poor Nikesh! It took us 4 rounds to score first point. But we won in the end. Haha! Apparently i realized that i can guess way better than my drawings. But great fun! 

8. Played Mafia during Diwali. good fun again! Played Poker with Dave and his friends Won 2$ :)

And work has been good so far. 


No comments: