Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Giving back

My new flatmate has got an amazing collection of movies. Over the last 2 weeks, i have seen 3 other people who like to buy and collect movies. Movies are displayed like we do books. Needless to say, movies are almost equivalent to books. So, then i felt ashamed that i do not have any movies in my collection because so far i have been living on internet. I have decided to build my own collection of proper movies from now on. This weekend, i thought i should start my collection. The first question is - Out of the finite gazillion movies that i have seen which one i like the most to order it the first. This was a very hard question than i thought. So hard that at some point i decided to drop the whole idea of making a collection.

But one should always go back to roots when doubts of this magnitude arises. So, i ordered the Decalogue by Krystof Kieslowsky. Why? THree Colors - Blue was the first Kieslowsky movie that i saw and it was also one of the first international movies for me. For some abstract mystical reason, i found that movie to be very beautiful, very different. I think i can say that the passion for watching good movies came on me only after watching Blue. It is still one of my fav movies. So, returning to roots meant buying Kieslowsky movie. I should have bought the three colors trilogy but i have already seen them. So i started with Decalogue. It will not be a long time before i get to Dekalogue.

Next was to buy some Indian movies. So i ordered Mira Nair's Monsoon wedding, Namesake and Salaam Bombay. For some reason, i find myself going back to Namesake more and more these days. The soundtrack could be that reason, or so could be Kal Penn or Irfan Khan. "The greatest journeys are the ones that bring you home" - one of the best taglines i have ever seen. Irfan saying this line - "Do as you want" or when he says - "You remind of everything that followed." The funny/artful picturization of - "yeh mera deewanapan hai". Somehow this movie is growing on me. I think i know the reason. I am afraid of it.

No comments: