Friday, June 27, 2008

Woody Allen - God on Earth

Going my Hindu mythology, in every yug (cycle of life), God comes to Earth and destroys evil.
If that is true, in the current one, my best guess for God would be Woody Allen and i think Woody will agree as well with me.

Just finished watching Play it Again, Sam, a spoof on Casablanca, Woody Allen style. Although not directed by him, but surely it has all elements of a Woody Allen movie. Allen plays himself - a neurotic, wasted man whose wife has run away and now he is looking for a girl to date. He is in awe with the movie Casablanca and has visions of Bogart.

Allen's earlier movies have Allen stamped all over them and this one is no different. Best comes from his one liners which are as witty as it can get.

If i am not back in an hour, sublet my apartment.



Dick: What? You got into a fight?
Allan: Yep.
Dick: With who?
Allan: Some guys were getting tough with Julie. I had to teach them a lesson.
Dick: Are you all right?
Allan: Yeah, I'm fine. I snapped my chin down onto some guy's fist and hit another one in the knee with my nose.


Allan: I'm so excited, I think I'll brush all my teeth today!

Nancy: My lawyer will call your lawyer.
Allan: I don't have a lawyer. Have him call my doctor.



And the list is endless. Although my personal favourite Allen movie is Love and Death, but seeing Allen on screen is all that is needed to bring smile on my face. Woody allen started by making spoofs of movies, be it Casablanca or Bergman but all of them had style - a style in which there is an analyst , neurologist, a guy who is destroyed and looking for comeback. His analyst scene in Bananas where he explains his dream is god level allen. I can not find that video online to post it now.

No comments: